Sunday, September 19, 2010

9/19/2010

The post I am sharing here was in the Huffington Post today and I was so moved by it that I want to keep it: this is NOT my writing. I thought that I had carried forward the author's name but sadly I have not. this understanding is so sweet to me so perfect for returning to in these days when judgment flies so freely. I apologize through prayer for not getting the author's name.


The answer to the ''problem of evil" can be found in most of the holy texts that have come down to us, through the ages. But it is a tough message to sell. Christ said (1 example) "judge not less you be judged" which prohibits our inclination to discern right and wrong. This in no way inhibits us from making social rules but it does enjoin us from making judgement about the evil of the lawbreaker. Not an easy task when dealing with some of the behavior that leads one to be incarcerated. But the message is clear and not subject to interpretation or clarification. Some philosophers, theologians, have put forward that this was a rejection of dualism. Simply put, everything is perspective. Please, do not interpret this as a rejection of society's role to enact laws and rules or the right to protect ourselves from those who break the rules, by incarceration. But He did say that the judgments were out of our hands and in those of His Father and I have found that He often communicated with parables but never with riddles.

This paragraph will be at the center of my meditations for a long,long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment