Tuesday, July 6, 2010

7/6/10

I have been looking for all the unpublished pieces-there used to be a page that held all the drafts where one could pick up on a piece or correct the typos but I guess that is gone now. Seems that blogger.com now publishes drafts once one moves away. Oh well!! at least I can give up trying to find the "drafts".
Well we found out that Steve's wage claims on the State did not go up to Sacramento until 7/1/10-so no money until next week and we are busted. What on earth are those people at the Dept of Voc Rrehab up to? Three weeks to process a simple one page claim. Well off to call the ex-brother-in-law for even another loan. Through out this upperdivision experience he has loaned us money knowing that we will eventually receive the financial support for school and we have always kept our word with him so I pray that he will see us through again.
I am thinking of my so-called old friend screaming across the miles via the internet about how worthless Steve is for "playing the system" for all it is worth. Jeez!! this from someone who has a 3.5+GPA and has now been accepted into the SF STATE Graduate School of Education. I am so proud of him and think of all he has done for others and all his musical talent and I almost pity her for her hatreds but of course not quite.
I am making asparagus soup today: I sliced an onion and sauteed it in a mix of butter and olive oil until limp and then I added several cubes of butternut squash and then cooked this with water and one cube of KNORR's Spanish speaking tomato/chicken bouillon and cooked it until the squash was soft at which point i added the broken up pieces of asparagus and cooked them until they, the pieces, were soft. After the veggies cooled a little I processed them with the hand blender. The result is a thick soup that is very popular. I call it cream of asparagus but there is no cream in it. I love the soup so much because it is made with the veggies found on the Berkeley Bowl "remainder shelves" where the produce which has passed the peak of ripeness goes. The fruit when just before real rot is so sweet and I use it for pies,crisps ,etc. The vegetables such as the asparagus/squash,etc are very flavorful and fine for soups,etc. And they are gotten for very,very little money.
Regarding the soup: I had the butternut squash so that is what I used but at other times I use potatoes and carrots and other times I have used yams-anything starchy so that the veggie acts as a thickening agent in the soup. Also the starchy veggies add a certain sweetness that is desirable.

Steve has started to attend diabetes classes--this is so good for everyone here-a reminder of how to eat. Tonight I am marinating thighs in buttermilk and I had planned to bake the thighs but the oven is once again on the blink so will fry instead. Called the landlord.

No comments:

Post a Comment