Saturday, December 4, 2010

12/4/2010

Tonight at the dark of the moon we will gather and make potato latkes and top them with apple sauce that I will make today and with sour cream and we will speak prayers of gratitude that we have each other in these dark days.

But when it comes to Hanukkah, this above all: When we Jews gather with friends and family around the Hanukkah menorah each night for eight nights, lighting Hanukkah candles and singing Hanukkah songs, there is something supremely powerful and healing in that experience. Even in dark days and dark times, we are reassured and empowered by rites that have been practiced by our people for so long and that have, in turn, sustained us. The Hanukkah lights, in pushing back the darkness, open Jewish hearts to our families and friends and all who are near to us, drawing us closer to them and to the entire human family.

These words are from Rabbi Eric H. Yoffie and I only wish that we had a menorah to light but I will see to it that we light some candles in our own hearts.

Wonderful advise form my friends at Astroworld giving out advice on how to get my mind away from the news of the world and into the joy of family and friends. Perhaps one thing is that Joyce is gone and I wanted always to reconcile and I lost both Barbara and Judy becuase of a paragraph regarding Barbara's son facing years in State prisons after years in Alameda county jail. I was honest even brutal and allowed Barbara to read what I had written because I was exhausted from days in court. Barbara had gone so deep into her heartbreak and fear for her son's fate that she had even reached the point of blaming the young mother whom he had abducted-domestic violence as his first attorney said- I was startled and shocked that she could blame the woman and that was my first clue of what I was dealing with and that was the inspiration for the paragraph and I wonder if that wasn't the source of my "forgetting" that led to her reading what I actually thought. Well anyway I ended up not only losing Barbara but also Judy and I really miss the warmth of our discussion of politics, county politics, recipes, memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment